Boating in Canada News

for – providing boating information since 1996

1 February 2009

Passports to enter the U.S.A. by Boat this Summer

In June 2009, everyone will need a passport* to enter the U.S. by land or boat. If you are getting one for the first time, apply well before June. (Currently, Canadians flying into the U.S. must have a passport, but you may enter by car or boat with a birth certificate plus a government-issued photo ID.)
The new United States Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is calling for a review of the U.S.-Canada border situation, pressured by some members of U.S. Congress and Homeland Security experts who are requesting greater security at the border. (Canada has not changed any requirements to enter Canada from the States.) U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
*Also accepted in addition to a passport: NEXUS card, FAST Free and Secure Trade card, or enhanced drivers licence (in provinces where available).

Labels: ,