Boating in Canada News

for – providing boating information since 1996

17 March 2011

Do you Have the Card?

All boaters in Canada must have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card
to operate a boat with a motor. Even someone driving a fishing boat with a small trolling motor or motorized dinghy must carry the card. If you are caught without it, you could be fined $250!

To obtain an Operator Card, one must learn some boating safety basics and regulations and then pass an exam – available online from You can get a temporary card right away if you pass. The "card" is good for life. (Visiting boaters are exempt unless they boat in Canada for more than 45 days. Rentals have special rules.) For more information see Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety. A summary can be found on Pat's Boating in Canada: Pleasure Craft Operator Card .


At July 24, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it REALLY about the safety of just collect money? (The common government habit).

If it is about the safety then why indians don't need any boating card? Are they inherently safer as handed down to them by their ancestors? (the usual explanation for most everything) Or is the Great Raven guarding them?

Cheers, Ed

At September 10, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is clearly about the money. If it was about safety you wouldn't be able to do the test online. I bet alot of people have a card and never wrote their own test. Typical government


Post a comment

<< Home