Boating in Canada News

for – providing boating information since 1996

17 March 2011

Do you Have the Card?

All boaters in Canada must have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card
to operate a boat with a motor. Even someone driving a fishing boat with a small trolling motor or motorized dinghy must carry the card. If you are caught without it, you could be fined $250!

To obtain an Operator Card, one must learn some boating safety basics and regulations and then pass an exam – available online from You can get a temporary card right away if you pass. The "card" is good for life. (Visiting boaters are exempt unless they boat in Canada for more than 45 days. Rentals have special rules.) For more information see Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety. A summary can be found on Pat's Boating in Canada: Pleasure Craft Operator Card .

9 March 2011

ICC now available to Canadians

The International Certificate of Competence, issued by the RYA (Britain) and available to those who pass their Day Skipper exam, is recognized by many charter firms in Europe and elsewhere as a marine "operator licence". In the past, it has only been available to British citizens, but a recent change means that the ICC is now available to Canadian and American sailors who already have a Day Skipper (Practical) certificate. []

Labels: , ,